During the life cycle of when a motion picture or series is produced, whether it’s made for theatrical, television, or other media, the producer needs to complete various essential agreements and other documentation for distributors and other third parties.
With our industry experience, we can negotiate, prepare, review, and/or approve all documentation, including but not limited to the following:
CHAIN OF TITLE
- A short form document outlining the historical transfer of ownership of the production.
- Organization and preparation of a summary of all supporting documentation, including but not limited to all executed underlying rights agreements, writer agreements, and assignment agreements.
CERTIFICATE OF AUTHORSHIP
- Short form document completed by the producer prepared in conjunction with the writers agreement.
- Necessary for each writer who receives screen credit (either screenplay or story), in substantially the form as customarily required by each distributor.
CERTIFICATE OF COPYRIGHT
- Preparation of the application for filing the production with the U.S. Copyright Office.
- Follow up with the Copyright Office to secure issuance of the original certificate.
- Statement indicating the correct copyright notice for the production to be included both on screen and on all related packaging (e.g. DVD cover).
MEMORANDUM OF EXCLUSIVE LICENSE
- Short form document summarizing the rights in the production being granted by the producer to each distributor with a copyright interest, prepared in a form customarily required by such distributor.
- Necessary for filing by such distributor with the U.S. Copyright Office. Follow ups to secure issuance of the original certificate.
MORTGAGE OF COPYRIGHT & POWER OF ATTORNEY
- Short form document summarizing the security interest in the production being granted by the producer to each distributor, prepared in a form customarily required by such distributor.
- Similar to the Memorandum of Exclusive License, necessary for filing by such distributor with the U.S. Copyright Office. Follow ups to secure issuance of the original certificate.
CERTIFICATE OF ORIGIN
- Short form document summarizing the filing location along with other relevant information regarding the production.
- Necessary for each distributor for use in each territory where such documentation is required, in a form as customarily required by such distributor.
SCREEN CREDITS/PAID AD STATEMENT/BILLING BLOCK
- Preparation of a complete typewritten copy of the final on screen credits to be accorded on screen and in the main and end titles of the production.
- For all individuals accorded with an on screen credit, preparation of a statement of all paid ad credit requirements (e.g. contractual order and prominence of each credit, likeness approvals, etc.).
- Billing block prepared for all contractually required credits used in connection with distribution of the production (e.g. home video packaging).
MUSIC CUE SHEETS
- Documents prepared for the production setting forth:
(i) the titles of all musical compositions and sound recordings.
(ii) name(s) of the composer(s) and their performing rights society affiliation.
(iii) names of the recording artists.
(iv) nature and exact timing of the uses made of each musical composition.
(v) name and address of the owner of the copyright of each musical composition and sound recording.
(vi) the name and address of the publisher and company which controls each sound recording.
- All executed composer, lyricist, and/or publishing agreements pertinent to all original music embodied in the production.
- All executed agreements pertaining to all third party music embodied in the production, granting pertinent synchronization licenses, performing rights licenses, and the necessary corresponding master use licenses.
CAST AND CREW AGREEMENTS
- All additional significant executed agreements, including but not limited to writer, producer, director, and all cast engaged for the production.
THIRD PARTY CLEARANCE AGREEMENTS
- Executed agreements pertaining to all footage embodied in the production licensed from third parties, including but not limited to stock footage license agreements and clip license agreements.
LABORATORY ACCESS LETTERS
- Letter, prepared in a form as customarily required by each distributor which provides laboratory access to all physical delivery items to which access is required, along with any other available negative and/or sound materials related to the production, which are in the possession and/or under control of producer.
- Ensuring all necessary residual documentation has been completed and information has been submitted to the guilds and is timely and accurately transferred to the party that is obligated to report and pay residuals based on its exploitation of the production.
- This information includes but is not limited to final cast lists, performer agreements, guild notices of credits and guild assumption agreements.
STATEMENT OF FINAL PRODUCTION COST
- Statement setting forth the final production cost of the production certified to be true and accurate by the producer.
PRODUCTION ELEMENTS & PUBLICITY
In order to ensure delivery of a production to a distributor or other third party is complete, we can expedite completion of all relevant physical and promotional items, including but not limited to the following:
- Delivery of masters
- Photography and artwork
- Cast & crew bios
- Electronic press kit